THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF BURLINGTON
BY-LAW NUMBER 92-2001
WHEREAS by Section 29(6)(a) of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, chapter O.18, as amended, the Council of a municipality shall pass a by-law designated property to be of historical and architectural value and interest where no Notice of Objection to the designation has been served on the City Clerk within thirty days after the date of first publication of the Notice of Intention to Designate in a newspaper having general circulation in the municipality;
AND WHEREAS Notice of Intention to Designate was published in a local newspaper and served on the owners of the properties and Community Heritage Ontario by registered mail;
AND WHEREAS the reasons for the said designations are set out in Schedule "A" attached hereto and forming part of this by-law;
AND WHEREAS no Notice of Objection was served on the City Clerk of the City of Burlington.
NOW THEREFORE THE COUNCIL OF THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF BURLINGTON HEREBY ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:
1. THAT 2270 No. 8 Side Road, being Part Lot 8, Concession 2 NS, Part 1, Plan 20R-2071, PIN 07208-0034, in the City of Burlington, Regional Municipality of Halton, be designated as being of architectural and historical value and interest.
2. THAT the City Clerk be directed to cause a Notice of this Passing of this by-law to be published in a local newspaper having general circulation in the municipality.
3. THAT the City Clerk be directed to cause a certified copy of this by-law to be served upon the owner of 2270 No. 8 Side Road, in the City of Burlington, in the Regional Municipality of Halton, and Community Heritage Ontario.
4. THAT this by-law shall take effect on the date of its registration in the Land Registry Office for the Land Registry Division of Halton (No. 20).
ENACTED AND PASSED THIS 24th day of September, 2001
CITY CLERK: ______________________________________
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
This original house was built in 1840 by brothers James and John Harris as a one-and-a-half storey end-gabled frame structure on 150 acres of farmland bought by them in 1834. The Harris farm was to the east of what was to become the village of Cumminsville and to the south east of what was to become the village of Kilbride. In 1848 one-half acre of this property was purchased from James Harris for the Kilbride Presbyterian cemetery. John Harris was a local magistrate for many years, and also operated a general store in the village.
A saltbox-style rear addition was built circa 1860, when the roof of the original structure may have been raised, and brick veneer was added. The three windows at the second level of the front elevation are set just below the eaves. The other windows have segmented headers with radiating brick voussoirs, which have been picked out in black paint.
The farmhouse remained in the Harris family until 1901. There is a large frame barn on the property. Now set on a two-acre lot, with scenic views of Mount Nemo and Rattlesnake Point, the house is an historic landmark on the No. 8 Side Road.