Specialized Transit

Specialized Transit, also known as Handi-Van, is a door-to-door service offered by Burlington Transit to people with disabilities. This service is available to registered customers who are unable to use a conventional bus.

Apply to use specialized transit

You can apply to use specialized transit in Burlington, Milton and Oakville by completing the specialized transit application. Sections of the form must be completed and signed by your doctor or a health care professional.

Apply to use specialized transit

You can also pick up an application form from our Downtown Transit Terminal at 430 John St. If you would like us to mail you a form you can:

  • Email us
  • Call the Downtown Transit Terminal at 905-639-0550
  • Call our dispatch at 905-639-5158

Please mail your completed forms to:

Specialized Transit Application Office
Oakville Transit
1225 Trafalgar Road
Oakville, ON L6H 0H3

Hours of operation

Our specialized transit hours of operation are:

  • Monday to Friday from approximately 5 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.
  • Saturday from approximately 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.
  • Sunday from approximately 6:30 a.m. to 10:15 p.m.

Drop-offs must be before the end of day service time.

Book a trip

You can book a specialized transit trip either online or by phone. You will need your client ID to book a trip.

Book a trip

To book a trip by phone, call us at 905-639-5158.

Specialized transfers

If you are using our specialized transit to travel to Oakville or Hamilton, you will be transferred to Oakville's care-a-van or Hamilton's DARTs at transfer locations.

Transfer point between Burlington and Hamilton

The Burlington GO Station is the transfer point for specialized transit between Burlington and Hamilton.

Transfer points between Burlington and Oakville

The transfer locations between Burlington and Oakville are the:

You will use the transfer location that is closest to your pick-up address.

Book a transfer

To travel between cities, contact both Burlington Transit at 905-639-5158 and either Oakville Transit at 905-337-9222 or DARTs Hamilton at 905-529-1717 to book trips from one community to the other.

If you are using a self-serve booking option, please ensure you select the correct transfer location between Burlington and Oakville based on proximity to your pick-up address.

Cancel a trip

If you need to cancel a trip between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Monday to Friday, please call us at 905-639-5158.

After-hours cancellations

If you need to cancel a trip before 8 a.m. or after 5 p.m. from Monday to Friday or any time on the weekend, please call us at 905-330-8695.

Specialized Transit Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

When should I book my specialized transit trip?

You can book your trip up to two weeks in advance.  To make sure you get the trip you want, we recommend booking as early as possible. 

What is the best time for a specialized transit trip?

When possible, try to book your trips between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Vans are at peak capacity from 8 to 9 a.m. and again between 2:30 and 3:45 p.m.

Can I book shopping specialized transit trips?

Yes. We provide door-to-door service to any location within Burlington boundaries.

I have a medical appointment. When should I book my specialized transit trip pick-up?

Call your medical office to see how long your appointment will be before booking your pick-up. If you think your appointment will go longer, please call us at 905-639-5158 to reschedule your pick-up.

What do I do if my appointment is running late and the specialized transit bus is waiting for me?

If you were not able to call us to reschedule, the driver will wait for several minutes and then move on to the next booking. As soon as you can, phone 905-639-5158 to reschedule your trip subject to availability.

How do I find out about specialized transit trip service cancellations due to weather?

If the service must stop due to weather, you will receive a phone call.  If you have taken your first trip, you will still be picked up for your return trip.

Can I bring a companion or a support person on board a specialized transit trip with me?

Yes. You must also book their ride when you book yours. 

A companion is a friend or family member, and they must pay the regular fare.

A support person supports a customer who cannot be left unattended on the bus or at the pick-up or drop-off location. They don't have to pay a fare.

How do I pay for my specialized transit trip?

We accept cash fares and PRESTO cards. If you are paying with cash, we need exact change as drivers cannot make change.